The dual spires of the Abdinghofkirche rise high above the source of the River Pader. This became a Protestant church in 1867. The original Benedictine Monastery Church, St. Peter and Paul, had been built by Bishop Meinwerk and was consecrated in 1023. The church was later extended with a flat-roofed basilica on pillars and a three-nave crypt. Steps lead down from the aisles to the consecrated crypt below the choir. The foundations of two previous buildings were discovered underneath the nave. The adjacent ‘Abbot’s Chapel’ dates back to the 12th century and is located along the way to the western gallery. The almost square-shaped room comprises a cross-patterned stone floor and a beautiful Roman pillar in the centre.