Lichtenau-Kleinenberg is an ancient titular town, an exemplary cultural village and a popular Pilgrimage of the Virgin Mary. The pilgrimage worships a Gothic statue of Mary as the ‘Helper of the Mountain’ and is almost as old as the village itself. The Baroque church (1742 – 1758) is the fourth church building on this site. The most outstanding feature of this longitudinal building is the large roof construction, which only on the inside is shaped like a dome above the nave of the church. Its murals and vaults, the statues of the founders of the Order and the altar front are most impressive. Renovations on the exterior in 1990 and 1991 have given the finishing touches to its original 18th Century appearance. Avenues of lime trees guide the visitor from the pilgrimage church across the old ‘Via Crucis’, the Stations of the Cross, to the Mother-of-God-Well and the Grotto of Lourdes. On the occasion of the Visitation and the Birth of Mary these famous pilgrimage festivities are celebrated with processions of light.
daily: 9.00 - 18.00 h
Kath. Pfarrbüro (Catholic Vicarage)
Telefon 05647 221