Surrounded by mighty trees far away from the traffic, to the south of the village of Wewelsburg lies the "Valley of Peace". This is the home of the former monastic complex of 'Böddeken'. The history of the monastery and the settlement goes back to 836 / 837, when the aristocrat 'Meinolf' founded the 'Böddeken' convent in the form of a bestowment. In 1409, the convent was transformed to an Augustine monastery.
Following the secularisation, 'Böddeken' became a government domain, however, in 1822, it changed ownership to the noblemen 'von Mallinckrodt' and the family still owns the estate today. One kilometre south of 'Böddeken' is the 'Meinolfus Chapel' and a military cemetery, which was established after the Second World War. More than 300 victims of the last war, who died in the former County of Büren, were laid to rest here.
The monastery may only be viewed from the outside.